Please do NOT order this meter unless you are sure this is appropriate for your circumstances. If you do not know please call us before you order.
This meter only provides a 20 Amp circuit.
NOTE: We will install the meters for you. Please call us to get a quotation for installation.
If you are looking for a standard single phase for cottages / granny flats, body corporates, flats, houses with single phase DB Board please check the PPL23GT .
The new generation PPL23EU is a compact, single-phase, two wire, keypad-based prepayment electricity meter in a housing compatible with the a standard common base electricity dispenser socket. The PPL23EU is SABS approved.
The PPL23EU has built in earth leakage and over current protection, is most suited to new reticulation and is directly and easily interchangeable with common base prepayment meters from other approved manufacturers using the common base configuration. User interaction with the meter and access to meter information (such as a low credit warning, energy consumption, and load contactor status) are available using the keypad and LCD display.
Principle of Operation
The PPL23EU meter is based on the ESKOM Specification, which calls for a prepayment meter that can be fitted into a standard plug-in base. This concept ensures simple installation and replacement procedures. The meter is keypad based and supports the industry standard STS encryption algorithm. Access to meter information is available using the keypad and LCD. More detailed information and programming is achieved via the standard interrogation port at the rear of the meter, according to the defined ESKOM specification. Integration of a supply isolator, earth leakage protection and over current and short-circuit protection into the prepayment meter eliminates the need for a distribution board in the house, thereby reducing overall installation costs.
The PPL23EU is fitted with a 2-pole circuit breaker which disconnects both live and neutral poles. Apart from the meter’s programmable Power Limit functionality, it is also protected against over current and short-circuit currents by means of a thermal-magnetic trip mechanism in the live pole of the circuit breaker. Electronic earth leakage detection protects against residual currents (earth leakage fault currents) by tripping the circuit breaker. This protection circuitry is independent of the metering circuitry for improved reliability and rapid response times.
A dedicated earth leakage test key (T) is provided for consumers to regularly verify the integrity of the protection circuitry.
The PPL23EU electronic circuitry is mechanically sealed at the time of manufacture by screw sealing plugs. These plugs will be destroyed if attempts are made to access the screws. On installation, the PPL23EU is secured to its socket base with two screws. These screws are then covered with a plastic anti tamper plug and finally sealed with a sealing wire and crimp ferrule clearly visible from the front of the meter. This ensures that there are visible signs of tampering if unauthorized entry to the system is attempted. In addition to the mechanical sealing of the meter, the external lever mechanism of the circuit breaker is completely covered by a plastic shroud to prevent the insertion of foreign objects in an attempt to damage or disable the mechanism.
The plug-in-base, which conforms to ESKOM’s specifications, allows for commissioning of the meter to be separated from the field installation, adding flexibility and convenience to these processes.
Included with the base is a Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV), which ensures that the meter complies with the stringent ESKOM requirements for surge current protection of prepayment meters. The base is optional and can be supplied separately to the meter. Virtual Token Carrier (VTC) Port Complies fully with the latest VTC port requirements as specified in IEC 62055-52
- Single phase, 2 wire, common base meter
- 20 Amps overload protection (I max)
- 30mA earth leakage current protection
- Scrolling display for the meter serial number
- Display last 50 vouchers entered (Displays 20 digit number and date & time of voucher)
- Mechanically sealed against tampering
- Magnetic tamper detection
- Tamper detection facility, detects removal from common base (Optional on request)
- Clip-in anti-tamper sealing plugs for ease of installation in the field
- Significant Reverse Energy (SRE) detection
- Programmable software power limit
- Degree of protection, IP54
- Meter enclosure manufactured with UV stable, flame-retardant plastic material
- Information button and backspace key
- Advanced commissioning feature
- Clear, language-independent icons
- Latch status indicator icon
- Improved sealing against ingress of insects
- Custom label space for utility specific labels
- Proven Cashpower keypad technology
- SANS 1524-1 certified
- Easy to install and ideal for new reticulation
- Fully STS compliant
- Additional meter parameters accessible via the information key and selected registers